Friday 20 June 2014

The Beautiful Game?

Some of you may have seen my previous rant about how I have successfully quit watching football over the last few years. So imagine my dilemma when I found out there was, apparently, a world cup happening. I was torn. Would I be able to avoid it or would I rush out and purchase stretchy St George's flags to put over my wing mirrors? Even an ex-addict like me would surely find it difficult to stay away from the wall-to-wall coverage and national hype. But if I was going to be dragged in, would I find myself disappointed by all the usual diving, controversy and arrogance, or would I be impressed by quality play, national pride and athletic prowess? As it turns out, I've found both!

The disappointments came thick and fast, beginning with Brazilian diving. Since then I've seen a whole range of acting ability; forwards being shot in the box, defenders play-acting to get opponents booked and waste time, and some peculiar auditions for parts in obscure Shakespeare plays. Then there's been the officiating; continual poor decisions, disallowed goals, excessive use of disappearing foam. Add to that the controversies; fans invading the press room, team buses breaking down, Phil Neville being allowed to speak on national TV. All in all the world cup has, so far, offered up a predictable assortment of disappointing and disgraceful occurrences that make me want to hurl my drink/remote control/sensibilities through the screen.

But I've managed to resist that urge, largely because I've thoroughly enjoyed not caring what happens! Without the usual partisan allegiance or over-inflated sense of national worth I've been able to dip in and out of games without ulterior motive or agenda. It means I can laugh at the inevitable stupidity of it all. It turns out there are few things funnier than watching grown men behaving like school children. If you don't believe me, watch this. And who hasn't chuckled at the bizarre insistence on using the new goal-line technology when the ball has nestled in the bottom corner? Not only has the world cup provided endless amusement, but there's actually been some excellent play too. I've been thoroughly impressed by many of the smaller nations who seem to still understand what it means to represent your country, and who work hard for one another and manage to play as a team. There have been one or two moments of sheer class, like Tim Cahill's volley for Australia. Some of the games have even been exciting!

So I find it hard to care that England are out. We were beaten in two games by two better teams. And we're yet to play Costa Rica, who seem to have played better than anyone else in the group. With half of England praying for Italy to do us a favour in the remaining group games, I found it impossible to support a nation that were so consistently outplayed by the Costa Ricans. I found myself willing the minnows on. I think it is a relief now that England are out and we can just enjoy the good bits without the distractions.

I will be supporting fair play, good attitudes and outrageous skill for the rest of the tournament, but will also continue to enjoy the comedy elements offered up by the world's 'best' players.

No comments:

Post a Comment