Wednesday 20 August 2014

Face Time

A couple of weeks ago our house living room clock stopped working. The batteries were fine, but the hands couldn't turn because the circular card which listed the numbers 1-12 in a clockwise direction around the clock edge, as is customary, had warped and cracked and now blocked the second hand from continuing on it's never-ending quest towards the end of time.

I managed to find a way to remove the front cover and then poke out the card, but it was flaky and looked odd missing just a 2, so I took the whole thing out. The clock was now a shadow of it's former self. Without numbers, it's surprising how difficult it can be to tell the time, despite the hands still being in exactly the same place. Confusion reigned. I started turning up late, overcooking my dinner, missing the headlines - all because of the faceless clock. After a week or two it was getting to me, so I did this:


It didn't help to tell the time much, but I found it very amusing. My housemate was, of course, delighted to be the new face of the clock. For a week or so she peered down at us while we dashed through the living room, trying to avoid her beady eye. Then after a week or so, this appeared:


I suspect I know who the culprit is. Her mug shot was plastered to the clock just days earlier. I am at least pleased that she captured my best side. I sense the clock war is not over. Time to go back on the offensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment