Monday 18 August 2014

All the Small Things

Sometimes the little things in life entertain me. Take this morning, for example. As usual, I had gone to the bathroom to brush my teeth. But in a break from the normal toothpaste procuring routine, my blob of toothpaste, inspired by a small bubble of air nestled behind it in the tube, leapt forth into the air, neatly hopping over the outstretched toothbrush and landing with a thud on the bath mat. This could have been annoying, since the toothpaste cleaning function was wasted on the mat, and indeed made a sticky mess when I tried to clear it up. But for some reason I found this whole instance rather amusing. The initial hurdle and kamikaze dive by the toothpaste was sufficiently comic to raise a chuckle or two. And the sound it made when landing seemed to perfectly reflect my emotions during the routine morning ablutions. Having raised a chuckle, I then chuckled further at the absurdity of it all, and before long found myself giggling like a schoolgirl while standing alone in my dressing gown, gazing into the mirror. Before long I was a gibbering wreck, and could scarcely recall what the original instance was that had caused such hilarity. I find it’s good to be entertained by inconsequential, irrelevant moments such as this. It relieves the otherwise monotonous tedium of the daily rituals we all subscribe to.

No comments:

Post a Comment