Saturday 20 June 2015

Musical musings

I have an iPod. On my iPod there are 9036 songs from a variety of genres. From time to time I pick up my iPod and can't decide what to listen to. Its clearly not lack of choice. Usually I scroll through a few artists and then settle into one of the same half dozen latest albums that I always listen to. 

Not so today. Today my indecision lead me to select my entire song collection and hit the random button. So far I've moved seamlessly between Richard Ashcroft (of the Verve), the Corrs, a live Counting Crows number, the dulcet tones of Ben Folds Five, and I'm currently listening to some smooth jazz from Miles Davis.

A personal highlight for me was the brief interlude of birdsong that punctuated the Corrs and Counting Crows (appropriately). I have several bird song snippets on my iPod, and when they emerge by chance I like to play 'guess the artist' as I would with any other track. This one was a skylark.

What radio station plays such an eclectic mix of tunes in such close proximity? I'm not a huge fan of radio-too much chat, not enough music-but I would happily listen to a show that could switch from pop to classical, leap between rock & blues, interspersed with a sprinkling of jazz, heavy metal, dance & electronica, all finished off with a topping of ethnic, traditional & folk. I might urge them to go easy on anything that verges on R&B, rap or house (except Backstreet's 'No Diggity' of course).

If variety be the spice of life, play on (player)!

No comments:

Post a Comment