Friday 5 December 2014

Polite Strangers

Many of you will know my feelings on technology (see here). Despite the wealth of functions that technology performs in my life on a daily basis, there are times when I want to hurl a glass of orange juice over my laptop simply to teach it a lesson. However, today I had a pleasant technological exchange with a complete stranger. I received a text from a random number that neither I nor my phone recognised, and over the next half hour or so I conversed with 'Dave' in the following manner:

Dave: Hi just a reminder you are all stamp and deliver tonight 17.45-20.45. Dave
Me: What does this mean?! I'm confused!
Dave: If you are still an explorer scout you are due to do stamp and deliver mail sorting tonight. Dave
Me: I'm 31 & have never been an explorer scout before. Do I still qualify?!
Dave: I bet you don't live in allestree either?
Me: Nope! But thanks for the invite! Enjoy the stamping.
Dave: Happy Christmas

I like Dave. I don't know much about him, but I assume he is a volunteer co-ordinating scouts in Allestree (where is Allestree?!). He's also polite and mildly amusing. Which makes him probably a decent chap. I might start texting a few random numbers over the coming weeks, offering a bizarre and varied assortment of evening activities, to see if I can elicit any similar responses. Perhaps along the lines of 'Don't forget it's drinking chess night at the village hall - bring a friend!' or 'Chicken race night at the pub in Bonsall this friday' (this one actually exists!). I invite you to try this too, and post the best responses below!

No comments:

Post a Comment